I’m sure you’ve seen those home-shine kits that promise to make your gemstones sparkle like they were brand new. But, you may be wondering how it works and if it’s worth the money. In this blog post, we’re going to explore a few different ways on how to shine gemstones at home without having to spend any money!
What are gemstones?
Gemstones have been used for years, dating back to the ancient Egyptians and Romans. Their popularity has increased in recent decades as a result of their relatively low price point compared to other precious metals such as diamonds. Many people prefer them because they come in a wide variety of colors, cuts, and sizes – meaning there’s something for everyone!
At their most basic level, gemstones are simply rocks that have been cut and polished to a shine. The most common types of gemstones are diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. However, there are many different types of gemstones available on the market today, including amethyst, citrine, topaz, peridot, and more.
Why should I shine my gemstone at home?
When you first purchase your new gemstones, they may not be clear or bright. To get them to their original state of beauty, it is important to take good care of them and keep them clean! Shining the stones regularly will also increase its lifespan while making it look beautiful.
In addition, gemstones are often used as a low-cost substitute for diamonds. Unlike diamonds, however, most gemstones require extra care and attention to keep them shiny and beautiful.
How to shine your gemstone at home
There are a few different ways you can go about shining your stones, but the easiest way is to use an electric polisher. These machines will take care of all the hard work for you and leave them looking brand new! They’re relatively inexpensive compared to other options and can be purchased online or at a local hardware store.
When using an electric polisher, you’ll want to start by placing the stone on some type of material that will protect it from scratches (such as leather). Next, grab your polishing pad and place it over top of the area where you’d like to shine. Then simply turn on the machine and let it do its job!
If you don’t have an electric polisher, you can also use a few simple household items to get the same results. For example, try using a toothbrush with some soapy water or baking soda. Be sure to rub in a circular motion until the stone begins to shine.
How to make your stones last longer
- Be careful not to drop or scratch your gemstones
- Store them in a bag instead of keeping them exposed in an open jewelry box for prolonged periods. This will protect the stone from damage and dirt/dust!
- If you need to clean your stones, try using warm water with soap or baking soda. You can also use a soft cloth to wipe the stone down.
- If your stone is loose, you can also try placing a little bit of clear nail polish around the edge or underneath the stone to prevent further damage! Just make sure not to use too much so that it becomes visible on top.
- For diamond rings specifically, try placing rubber or plastic rings underneath the diamond to prevent it from scratching other objects!
- To keep your stones shiny, avoid exposing them to chemicals such as chlorine and saltwater. If you do end up getting them wet with either of these elements, make sure they are fully dry before storing them away!
- For sapphire gemstones specifically, avoid using ultrasonic cleaners. These cleaners can cause the stones to lose their shine over time.
- Last but not least, enjoy your beautiful gemstones! Be sure to wear them and show them off as often as possible!
How do I know if my gemstone is real or not?
To determine whether or not your gemstone is real, you can take it to a local jeweler for an evaluation. They will be able to tell you the authenticity of the stone and what type of care it needs.
Can I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my gemstones?
Ultrasonic cleaners can be used to clean most gemstones, but it is important to avoid using them on sapphire stones. Over time, they can lose their shine if cleaned with this method.
Can I wear my gemstone while swimming or showering?
While you don't need to worry about your gemstones getting wet, it is important not to wear them while swimming or showering. The combination of chemicals and chlorine can cause the stones to lose their shine over time.
Shine a gemstone and you’ll be blown away with the results. If you’re not sure how to do it, we’ve got some simple steps for shining your gemstones at home. Just try it and see how your stones come to life.