The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler Kit is the perfect tool for anyone who wants to take their rock polishing skills to a professional level. It comes with two 10-sided molded rubber barrels, grits, plastic pellets and a Professional Gemstone Tumbling Guidebook, making it ideal for hobbyists, jewelry makers and professionals alike! With its durable all-steel body and stainless drive cover, you can be sure that your money’s worth will be met with this tumbler.
The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler is a professional rock tumbling kit perfect for polishing stones, brass, glass and beads. It comes with everything you need to get started: two 10-sided molded-rubber barrels, each holding 3 5/8″ deep by 6 3/4″ diameter, a total capacity of 12 lbs., an all-steel body with stainless drive cover, a strong 120V 60Hz motor and one-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. The tumbler itself weighs about 16 pounds and ships in two boxes. In addition to the tumbler, this kit also includes enough grits to polish 50 to 60lbs of rough rock, 5lbs #80 coarse, 5lbs #220 medium#600 pre-polish 1lb Micro Alumina polishing and 1lb plastic pellets, as well as Professional Gemstone Tumbling Guide. With its base dimensions of 11.5 inches long x 12.5 inches wide, this high-quality rotary tumbler will take your rock polishing skills to a professional level!
I had been tumbling rocks for years and was no stranger to the sound of rock tumblers, but when I bought my second Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler, things were different. The first one’s motor had burned out after a couple of years of excessive use – we’d gotten a bit obsessed with the hobby – so I knew that this new model needed to be extra durable.
Fortunately, it lived up to my expectations. No leaks and overheating – just what I wanted from a machine like this! However, there was one small problem: within a day or two of running it for the first time, I noticed that the nut which held the bracket in place around the shaft was coming loose. This could have caused significant damage down the line if left unchecked.
Quickly jumping into action mode, I replaced the regular nut with a locking nut and sure enough…no more problems! Now that both barrels were operational again (one for steps 1 & 2 while reserving another barrel for pre-polish and polishing phases), they were running smoothly without any loud noises or disruptions in sight. To say that I was relieved would be an understatement; now, all that remained between me and beautiful polished stones was patience!
- Reliable 120V 60Hz motor
- Durable all-steel body with stainless drive cover
- Comes with two 10-sided molded rubber barrels, each holding 3 5/8″ deep by 6 3/4″ diameter
- Includes grits, plastic pellets and Professional Gemstone Tumbling Guide
- Easy to install and use
- Nut on the bracket may come loose
- Limited one-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Can take several weeks to tumble stones properly
Who will benefit from using it?
The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler is perfect for anyone who wants to polish stones, brass, glass or beads. This kit provides everything you need to get the job done right, from hobbyists and rockhounds to jewelry makers and professional tumbling companies. It’s also great for classrooms, scout troops and programs that need to provide a safe and durable machine with easy-to-use instructions. Whether you’re an experienced rock tumbler or just starting, this high-quality rotary rock tumbler will surely exceed your expectations!
Tips for using The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler Kit
- Always wear protective eyewear and gloves when tumbling rocks
- Follow the instruction carefully to ensure proper results
- Check the nuts on the bracket and make sure they are securely tightened before use
- Only add enough rocks, grit and water to fill one-third of the barrel
- Allow plenty of time for the rocks to tumble – it can take several weeks
- When finished, wash away all grit and debris before removing the stones from the barrel.
- Store unused grit in a sealed container to prevent contamination.
- Clean and lubricate the barrels regularly according to manufacturer instructions.
- When finished, always unplug the machine from the wall outlet and store it in a dry location.
The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler Kit alternatives
If the Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler doesn’t suit your needs, consider other alternatives. Some of these include:
- The Thumler’s MP-1 Kit comes with a 3 lb. capacity barrel and features a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty. It also provides grit, plastic pellets and a professional guidebook.
- National Geographic Rock tumbler – This tumbler comes with two 4-step barrels and is perfect for beginners. It is also an easy-to-use design and ideal for classrooms or scout troops.
- Lot-o-Tumbler Vibratory Rock Tumblers – This tumbler has a 3 lb. capacity and features vibration technology for faster polishing.
Are Lortone Rock Tumblers Good?
Yes, Lortone rock tumblers are good. They're well-constructed and reliable and come with various size options to suit your needs. They also come with a comprehensive instruction booklet that makes it easy to start. The customer service department is also accommodating and responsive if you have any questions or problems.
Where Are Lortone Rock Tumblers Made?
Rock tumblers are manufactured in the United States by a company called Lortone.
Can I Tumble River Rocks?
It is possible to tumble river rocks, but the process is different from tumbling other rocks. River rocks are typically round and have a smooth surface, so they only need as much extra work to smooth them out.
Can I Tumble Rocks Without Grit?
Yes, you can tumble rocks without grit, but the results won't be as good. Grit is necessary to help wear down the rocks and polish them. Without grit, the rocks will only be tumbled for a short amount of time and will not have a smooth finish.
Can You Use A Rock Tumbler For Jewelry?
Yes! A rock tumbler is a great way to polish and shine your jewelry. The tumbler's polishing action will remove any scratches or blemishes and give your jewelry a beautiful luster.
The Lortone QT-66 Rotary Rock Tumbler is an excellent tool for anyone who wants to take their rock polishing skills to a professional level. It’s easy to set up and use, has a reliable motor, and includes two 10-sided molded rubber barrels for tumbling multiple stones at once. Plus, it comes with grits, plastic pellets and a Professional Gemstone Tumbling Guide book. While the nut on the bracket may come loose, this can easily be fixed by replacing it with a locking nut. With its durable all-steel body and stainless drive cover, you will get your money’s worth with this tumbler – making it one of the best choices for professional rock polishing!
Leave a Reply